Monday 4 April 2011

'mother & son day'























Mothering Sunday (4th Sunday of Lent) is the UK version of Mother's Day (second Sunday in May). So it is a day to remember mothers and give small gifts as an act of appreciation. In our church, flowers are given to all the ladies not just the mums. That's 'cos we try to be inclusive. And what woman does not appreciate flowers (and chocolates)?

One of my sons always thought it was 'Mother & Son' day, which made it extra special for him.

At our recent sacred:space in our Lectio Divina I focused on Psalm 131: 'as a child lies quiet in its mother's arms so my soul is quiet within me' For me it was a reminder of my own mother (bless her) and also the 'motherhood' (not just the fatherhood) of God

Hence the picture (one I had done earlier) based on Van Gogh's 'The man is at sea' (After Demont-Breton) painted in Oct 1889 in Saint-Rémy. It is very evocative. I love the way the mother and child are asleep - sprawled out - in the glow of the fire, the source of comfort as well as warmth. In that respect it's similar to one I blogged on earlier: Old man of sorrow

Maybe it is that child-like trust that in the end delivers us from despair, letting go of concerns and worries, so we do not end up like Van Gogh's 'Old Man of Sorrow' (at Eternity's Gate).

My heart is not proud, O LORD,

my eyes are not haughty;

I do not concern myself with great matters

or things too wonderful for me.

But I have stilled and quieted my soul;

like a weaned child with its mother,

like a weaned child is my soul within me.

O Israel, put your hope in the LORD

both now and forevermore.



No comments: