Saturday 16 April 2011

CROSS+WORDS


















These are the images I will be using for the 3 hour Good Friday Meditation as part of sacred:space. They are by Dutch artist Huub Bogaers. I like them a lot. They add meaning and context to the seven last words of Jesus.

A version of these images is available here: Crosswords Anyone using them is asked to let the artist know and make a donation to Mission. (contact details on the website)

1. THE WORD OF FORGIVENESS

“Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:34)



2. THE WORD OF ASSURANCE

“And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when you come into your kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Truly I say to you, Today you will be with me in Paradise” (Luke 23:42-43)


3. THE WORD OF COMFORT

“When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by whom he loved, he said to his mother, Woman, behold your son! Then he said to the disciple, Behold your mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home” (John 19:26-27)


4. THE WORD OF DESOLATION

“Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over a# the land until the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama, sabachthani? That is to say, My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:45-46).


5. THE WORD OF SUFFERING

“After this, Jesus knowing that a# things were now accomplished, that the Scripture might be fulfilled, said, I thirst” (John 19:28).



6. THE WORD OF TRIUMPH

“When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished” (John 19:30)



7. THE WORD OF COMMITTAL

“And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father into your hands – I commend my spirit; and having said that, he gave up his spirit” (Luke 23:46)


1 comment:

Gill Poole said...

That looks powerful and moving. May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the power of the Holy Spirit be with all of you through the meditation on Friday.