Monday 20 April 2009

I Dreamed a Dream





I was one of the 25 million people who have watched Scottish  Susan Boyle, 47, Unemployed on YouTube as she sang on Britain’s Got talent. A heartwarming story of an 'ugly duckling turning into a beautiful Swan'. A transforming voice proceeding, from what can only be described as ordinariness.   She sang 'I dreamed a dream' from Les Miserables.  

I dreamed a dream in time gone by,
When hope was high and life, worth living.
I dreamed that love would never die,
I dreamed that God would be forgiving.
 

I even mentioned it in my sermon on Sunday morning, as an illustration of a sort of resurrection.  How hope inspires.  How seeing is believing. 



It reminded me and probably most of the other people watching (!)  of , Paul Potts, the carphone warehouse salesman from Wales who wanted to sing opera.  He has been Susan Boyles inspiration. I remember watching that video so many times -   Paul Potts sings Nessun Dorma high quality video/sound widescreen 16:   He reached some 60 million YouTube viewings, but it took him  a little longer. Now the whole process seems to speed up and fame can be so instant.  

I just hope that such showbiz 'life' does not kill the dream.  

I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I'm living,
So different now from what it seemed...
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed...



No comments: