Saturday, 9 January 2016

Peace Garden @ Muslim Burial Ground #Woking




The Peace Garden at the restored Muslim Burial Ground at Woodham Common, Woking as featured on BBC recently.  Read a description here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-35209441 


This is the BBC documentary, featuring my good friend Zafar Iqbal, who is works for Woking Council.
 


It is a more extended version there (c 1 hour)  is also a shorter version here  (c 20 mins) 


You can watch also Woking Borough Councils short film about the site  
If you look carefully you can see a bloke sitting on the bench in the opening sequence - which is me!)


 It seems really important in our day to recognise the contribution Muslim troops made in WW1 in the defence of Britain. It offers a very different narrative to so much of the polarisation that we hear today.

 

1 comment:

UKlocal Movers said...

Nice post. I learn something more challenging on different blogs everyday. It will always be stimulating to read content from other writers and practice a little something from their store. I’d prefer to use some with the content on my blog whether you don’t mind. I’ll give you a link on your web blog. I recently came to know about http://uklocalmovers.co.uk/, their Man and Van Woking are very effective.
Man and Van Woking Thanks for sharing.